Main core of Viseu since 1886, this square is also known as Rossio, and it is distinguished in its administrative and economic valences in the buildings of the City Council, the nineteenth century, the Bank of Portugal, 1930 and Caixa Geral de Depósitos. This square is a 1930 tile panel, made by Joaquim Lopes who represented the rural areas of Viseu, highlighting the figure Capucha.
This aims to present the most iconic characters of Viseu twentieth century, Francisco Almeida Moreira created this because of its dedication to art and collecting. Alongside this emblematic estate, is its collection with a set of distinct pieces ranging from painting to sculptures of the modern era.
It is in Largo Major Teles, between wall socks with Almeida Moreira Museum, this garden offers the most varied shades of green, focusing on a sculpture from 1940, drawn up by Oliveira Ferreira, who dedicated it to his mother about title “the best sleep of our lives.” This sculptor was student Soares dos Reis, and his play was awarded at the XXVII Exhibition of the National Society of Fine Arts in 1930 with second place.
This church has a unique view of the Republic Square and can reach it through an elegant staircase. This is considered as one of the most beautiful examples of religious eighteenth century architecture, and the interior filled with tiles that tells the story of San Francisco, along with altarpieces in rococo style and an organ of the eighteenth century, present in the choir high.
Lung of Viseu, this park comes in expulsion of colors, aromas and calm that comes as much of its vegetation and watercourses. Its name is originally from one of the exponents of national literature, which since 1974 gives its name, Aquilino Ribeiro to this park. This is the Chapel of Our Lady of Victory of the seventeenth century, an element that aims to remind the Portuguese victory in the fields of Aljubarrota.
The Soar port is one of the most important entries in the medieval town of Viseu, with a structure of the fifteenth century, it was erected in 1412 as part of one of the seven gates of the city. Your bow broken warhead is surmounted by a stone weapons and San Francisco, which oversees the door. This is accompanied by a wall, whose construction took about 70 years, leaving only completed in the reign of Alfonso V, thus resulting in their Alphonsine wall name.
Next the Soar Door, is this chapel evokes the Our Lady of Remedies, whose devotion was such that the Viseense people demanded its construction. In the first half of the eighteenth century, the people’s wishes and their alms sponsored such, being such remembered the main door. Inside is decorated with tile panels and gilded altarpieces that represent the devotion of the people of Viseu.
It is one of the highest points of Viseu, capping one of the most beautiful squares in Portugal, this cathedral was built in the twelfth century beginnings, dating back to Viseu Cathedral associated with a condal palace and a castle, this got numerous renovations between the thirteenth century and XII. Inside lies a Renaissance cloister, the first of Portugal, along with a vault of us of the sixteenth century, as the reliquary arm of Sao Teotonio, the first Portuguese saint. In ancient Chapter Room is a focused museum to the Treasury of the Cathedral with an estate with over 900 years of the cathedral, walk the Canons a loggia which offers one of the most beautiful views of Viseu.
Near the Cathedral of Viseu, this former seminary seventeenth century was created in 1916 in honor of the Portuguese master painter of the sixteenth century, who lived and died in this city, Vasco Fernando / Onix. This are masterpieces of the Portuguese Renaissance painting, along with the altarpiece of the Cathedral of Santa Maria de Viseu, painting of St. Peter, following by a set of parts whose representation of art and Portuguese painting, were classified as ” National treasure”.
A XVI century building, erected under the direction of Jorge de Ataide, Bishop of Viseu. In the eighteenth century it was requalified promoting in it the Baroque style, presents up to today. Inside there is a second half of the pipe organ of the eighteenth century and an authoring oil painting “Pintor Gata” a Viseense artist of the nineteenth century, which shows Our Lady of Mercy. This also features a small museum that is covered by hundreds of objects that are intended to make known the history and figures, which give essence to one of the oldest institutions of Portugal, over the centuries.
Present in Largo António José Pereira, is a vestige of Renaissance civil architecture, unique in Viseu. This house of the sixteenth century, was drawn by Francesco Cremona, Italian architect, who also designed the cloister of Santa Maria de Viseu Cathedral. While going through a portal accompanied by pilasters Ionian, is one of the most curious archaeological collections, the collection of Dr. José Coelho, one Viseense personality of the twentieth century, and this aims to make known archaeological remains of the city of Viseu. This house is surrounded by gardens featuring milestones from Roman times.
Along with the Adro da Sé, become one of the oldest squares in Viseu, and was named after Duarte, the Portuguese king, who was born in this city in the year 1391. On top of this lies the walking canons, also on this statue of the king D. Duarte, the eloquent, fresh Almeida house and Silva, painter and sculptor Viseense the twentieth century.
For those who want to travel back in time, this street runs through the streets of the medieval town Viseense, presenting sobradas houses with Manueline windows and the house where Augusto Hilário, was born. This singer of the nineteenth century is also one of the main references of Coimbra Fado.
With a medieval trait that for years was the site of a scientific debate that researchers considered wrong as Jewish synagogue, lying yes, between the street of the Good Death and Lady Street Lady of Mercy. This house is a museum space that aims to revive the memory of viseenses presenting figures, spaces and memories.
The main artery of Viseu from the Roman period, which is the road axis, the Cardus Maximus, and already in medieval times was known as the street of Tabernacles. In the fifteenth century, it went to Straight Street to call it directly interconnected the two city gates, the extinct door of St. Joseph and the Door of the Knights. Over five hundred meters long are sobradas houses, manor houses, Manueline windows and several shops, which make you feel the soul and spirit Viseense over the centuries and thousands of years of history.
In Largo Santa Cristina, this church with a sober baroque trace hides in its interior a manifest of Baroque art, with a ceiling in perspective with a gilded accompanied by altarpieces and panels lining the walls, a work of art that gives the sacred to this.
In Formosa Street, is one of the most emblematic remains of the Roman presence in Viseu, a fragment of a wall built in the year 360, involving the city and can only accessed by four doors and let himself be accompanied by semicircular towers. This fortified was erected while the city would be a civitas capital important during Roman times, when it is the pressure of barbarian invaders from central Europe.
Regarded as one of the most beautiful examples of manorial architecture of Viseu, this chapel dedicated to Saint Anthony was erected in 1751, when present in the title of the chapel portal. Since its interior features a baroque esplender with paintings perspectives, tile panels and beautiful golden carvings.
One of the biggest mysteries in the history of Viseu and Portuguese archeology, this cava is also considered as one of the most emblematic works of mills in the Iberian Peninsula and consists of an octagonal plan with eight embankments on land, each has 250 meters in length associated with smug water. It is not known the author of this monument.
A space dedicated to the memories and knowledge of the people who tilled the field, this building housed a wrought iron workshop, a warehouse, a tavern and a housing for students. Currently it aims to maintain its connection to the memories of their land, with a craft and preserving the traditions of the people of this region, being a space for culture and popular knowledge.
Near Arch House or Manor of Albuquerques – built in the seventeenth century, it is one of the ancient gates that would make access to the medieval city of Viseu, lying along this the Fountain of San Francisco, the baroque features and in honor of St. Francisco, this was immortalized by Camilo Castelo Branco in the work “Doomed Love”, since it was on this site that the author described the confrontation between Simon Botelho and Baltazar Coutinho.
Aggregated to the Monastery of Bom Jesus, this was founded in 1560, by order of the bishop of Viseu Nuno de Noronha, at Largo Mouzinho de Albuquerque. The interior is surrounded by an artistic expression from the baroque, with tile panels depicting the life of St. Benedict and St. Scholastica, since the high altar, the gilded wrapping, is the epitome of the baroque. This monastery hosted the first Benedictine nuns who came from Bird Ferreira Monastery in Sátão, since 1592, being responsible for these confectionary Viseense.
Entering the Renaissance garden, it is like going back to the sixteenth century, being influenced by Italian creations, driven by Miguel da Silva, Bishop of Viseu. This garden offers an idyllic setting that promotes relaxation, with a small waterfall and colorful vegetation with aromas of camellias, false-tuias and azaleas.
Six kilometers away from Viseu, the Monte de Santa Luzia, which housed one castro of proto-history that was quartz extraction target, for 25 years, leaving only a crater, “window into the earth,” it is harnessed to the creation of a museum, which aims to explain the importance mineralogical, geological and commercial quartz.
It is four kilometers from Viseu, this monastery belonged to the Franciscan order, founded in 1408. This was being considered as an exemplary model of discipline and dear to people who donated for its construction. This is surrounded by a landscape that calls for peace and relaxation.
The twelfth century, this is also known as Bishop’s Palace and was the residence of the bishops of Viseu to the twentieth century. This solar features several stories and memories, being a single-oriented place and currently hosts the Viticultural Commission Regional Dão. This is a starting point for one of the most unique sensory and routes from Viseu, the Dão Wine Route.
The 25 kilometers of Viseu, and near the small town of Côta, this necropolis consists of five monuments, the largest him Anta Largest Pedralta along with 20 dolmens, reaching the village of Sanguinhedo and Nogueira Côta. This discovery was made by José Coelho, Viseense archaeologist in 1912. Since the estate of his excavations are in Belvedere House in Viseu.