Leisure in Lourinhã
The Lourinhã county is really lived and felt through walks, which enhance all its meaning, history, culture, nature and landscape.
O percurso “Dinosaur Route” It starts with the Lourinhã Museum, which includes a valuable wing of paleontology, ending at Fort Paimogo.
Over 9,900 meters, the walker can visit other places of interest such as the Saint Anthony Convent, the Church of Mercy and the Castle Church and dazzle with beautiful natural landscapes, with particular emphasis on the White Sand Beaches , Valley Friars, Caniçal and Paimogo.
The route “The Plateau of Cesaredas” It is marked in both directions, according to the rules of the Federation of Camping and Mountaineering Portugal, this route extends over 5 locations in 3 parishes of Lourinhã municipality, and its start and end with the Crafts and Museum Center of Reguengo Grande. However, to the extent that the route is processed in circuit, the walk can start at any of the locations wherever he goes. During the journey, hikers will have the opportunity to visit the Museum and the Reguengo Grande Crafts Center and strolling the Plateau of Cezaredas, one of the most known and striking landscape components in the northern part of the county. The Plateau of Cesaredas is a limestone area with about 140 million years which is presented as an extension of serrano system Aire / Montejunto. It is also a space that history, legend and popular tradition associated the camps of Caesar’s armies, the royal hunting and illegal loves of D. Pedro I and D. Inês de Castro.
The route “The paths of the Battle of Vimeiro” It is a circuit that is 17,600 meters long and is marked in both directions. While it may begin anywhere in your path is suggested that begin and end with the Vimeiro.Ao along the path of the Battle Monument will be crossed several settlements which took place fighting between the English army, assisted by Portuguese military units and commanded by Wellesley, and the invading French army under the command of Junot.
The route “Lourinhã Interior” It has the following circuit:
- Passage by Toxofal to visit the Quinta da Moita Longa, Tourism Unit in the Country with trees classified as Heritage Public Interest Natural.
- Visit to Pena Seca, secluded location and private rural characteristics.
- Passage through the Plateau of Cesaredas.
- Visit to the Rural Reguengo Grande Museum and urbanization of the Reguengo Grande parish council, with its craft shops, picnic area and playground. Overview of the “Village Nativity Scene”. In this area dominated by Orchards Apple Pippin (regional fruit).
- Windmills of Pinhôa. This set of five windmills was recently restored and is currently is in perfect condition and operation. (Visits to Mills: Contact Mr. Francisco (miller) through the telephone number 261 459 491, or Moita of the Parish Council of the Blacksmiths)
The route “Lourinhã Coastline” It contains the following circuit:
- Visit to the Castle Church (access temporarily unavailable inside), fine example of Gothic century. XIV, and the Alto do Cruzeiro Gazebo overlooking the village of Lourinhã and Areia Branca.
- Visit to St. Anthony Convent, former convent of the Franciscan, founded in 1508. Visit the cloister and the High Altar with narrative tiles depicting scenes of Saint Anthony’s life.
- Coffee break and prose regional sweet.
- Visit the Museum of Lourinhã. Here you can visit the exhibition Archaeology, Palaeontology, Sacred Art and Ethnography. Highlighting the presence of theropod eggs and embryos from the Upper Jurassic, unique in the world.
- Fonte Lima Park.
- Vimeiro: Vimeiro Battle Monument and the Interpretation Centre of the Battle of Vimeiro.
- Coffee break in the Porto das Barcas beach and visit to the shellfish nurseries seafood restaurant “Seafood”. (By appointment – see our tourism services)
- Visit Paimogo, stopping in Paimogo Fort.
The route “Pedestrian village of Lourinha” tem o seguinte circuito:
- The starting point is the Plaza José Máximo da Costa, situated opposite the Town Hall building is the ideal place to, if necessary, park your vehicle.
- Follow toward the Largo D. Lourenço Vicente and visit the Convento de Santo António.
- Head to the Lourinhã Tourist Office in Largo António Granjo where, besides being very well received, you will be given a map of the town and county.
- Move then to the beginning of Rua João Luís de Moura and pay a visit to Lourinhã Museum, better known as the Dinosaur Museum, mandatory stopover.
- Go through the Mercy Street upwards. Midway through this street, on your right, be sure to notice the headquarters Portal Manuelino the Holy House of Mercy.
- On top of this street you will find a staircase that leads to the Castle Church, fourteenth century (access temporarily unavailable inside).
- After visiting this monument, be sure to climb to the top of the viewpoint of the cruise and enjoy the beautiful landscape on the existing Lourinhã Village and its surroundings.
- Get down to Dr. Adriano Franco street turn right and go up the Travessa dos Valados. Will arrive at one of the town of Lourinhã mills. characteristic of the County elements and unique value of assets, the mills are sights that allow admire the landscapes around them, being both relics of the past.
- End your tour discovering the historic streets of Lourinhã, walking them to the street João Luís de Moura and Largo D. Lourenço Vicente.
Enjoy shopping in the traditional trade and restore energy proving regional sweets.