Heritage in Cadaval
The county is dubbed as “Balcony of Extremadura”, a tourist attraction because of its caves, flora and fauna, along with monuments that tell the story about the importance of Montejunto Mountains to the kings of Portugal. The Cadaval municipality is proud to present its range of churches, parishes by:
- St. Anthony Chapel – Located in Gouxaria, built in the seventeenth century and built in the twentieth century, it is a temple with a porch on its facade and a dome in the chancel.
- Church of Our Lady of Candeias – Church Alguber, it was founded in the sixteenth century and rebuilt in the seventeenth century and in the late nineteenth century, it was remodeled, highlighting the Baroque altarpiece, found in the chancel.
- Church of the Holy Spirit – located in Alguber, this church is to highlight the altarpiece of the chancel, coming from the late eighteenth century, and the altarpiece of the Chapel of Souls, built in the late sixteenth century and seventeenth-century beginnings, such as the construction of the Church .
- Church of Our Lady of Conception – It is the main church of Cadaval village. Has an architecture of the nineteenth century, however, some paintings are from the late sixteenth century, the tiles come from the seventeenth century and the altarpiece of the chancel is of the eighteenth century, showing that this church was a temple at an earlier time. In 2003, it was remodeled and classified as property of public interest and Concelhio value.
- Church of Our Lady of Exile – is in Adam Wolf, was built in the eighteenth century, and rebuilt in the twentieth century and presenting the modernized interior.
- Church of San Salvador – located in San Salvador, this small temple was founded in the mid-twentieth century.
- Church of San Vicente – It is located in Cercal and dating from the seventeenth century, the church has a tile flooring of this century, while the chancel is an altarpiece of the eighteenth century.
- In Palhoça you can find a chapel.
- Church of Our Lady of Conception – this church is located in Figueiros and features a painting dating from the late sixteenth and early seventeenth century century, indicating the existence of an older church. The currently displayed church dates back to the eighteenth century, seen through the chancel altarpiece.
- Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary – located in the center of Fort Rock, this emphasis is the neoclassical altarpiece, present in the chapel, coming from the late eighteenth or early nineteenth century.
- Chapel of Santa Ana – This small temple is located in Povoa and dating from the eighteenth century and remodeled in the twentieth century.
- Dominican convent – It was the first convent of the Dominican Order in Portugal, found on top of Sierra Montejunto, being built in the thirteenth century. It is currently in a state of ruins.
- Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows – also found on top of Sierra Montejunto, this chapel-suspects that was built in the thirteenth century, but was remodeled and enlarged during the sixteenth century onwards. Highlighting, inside are coated altars in the seventeenth century tiles and the high altar altarpiece coming from the eighteenth century.
- Church of Our Lady of the Fortress – lying on Dom Durão, this small church dates back to the eighteenth century, but the main altar of the altarpiece comes from or the end of that century or the beginning of the nineteenth century.
- Church of St. Thomas – the fifteenth century, this church was enlarged and remodeled during the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, especially the side altars of the Baroque period and the chancel altarpiece comes from the second half of the eighteenth century. This is located in Lamas.
- Church of San Vicente – located outside the Rochaforte, this church dates from the late fifteenth century or early sixteenth century and being modified in the mid-eighteenth century, and then rebuilt in the late nineteenth century.
- Church of Saint Anthony – to replace an older chapel of Bragança, this church dates from the late eighteenth century, being modified and expanded in 1984, but the inside remained the stone altar.
- Church of the Lord Jesus of the Afflicted– Located in Murteira, this church originated from the eighteenth century and the twentieth century has been expanded, and its altarpiece of neoclassic style.
- Chapel of St. John the Baptist – in Boiça do Louro, this chapel was restored but kept the old wooden altar dating from the eighteenth century.
- Church of the Holy Spirit – unknown to its construction date, this church has the triumphal arch and the altarpiece carved in stone.
- Chapel in Casais do Peral
- Chapel of Our Lady of Health – located in Barreiras, the chapel dates back to the eighteenth century and restored in 1953. Inside is an image of Our Lady.
- Chapel of the Quinta de São Lourenço – private but of great interest, it was remodeled in the early eighteenth century, but inside you can find decorated capitals of the thirteenth century the Triumphal Arch. This is considered the oldest chapel of the county.
- Church of Our Lady of Grace – located in Sobrena, this is referred to in the eighteenth century, but there is likely to be built in the fifteenth century. The interior has an altarpiece on the high altar of stone, a work derived from the nineteenth century.
- Church of San Sebastian – in Peral, the church was built in the seventeenth century. Inside are highlighted the chancel of tile coverings in the same century building, but altarpieces in wood are from the eighteenth century, as the triumphal arch demonstrates a polychrome painting.
Pêro Moniz churches
- In Vale Francas encontra-se uma capela data do século XX.
- Chapel of Our Lady of Grace – It is in Martim Joanes since the eighteenth century. Inside you can find an altarpiece referring to the nineteenth century, the altar.
- Church of St. John the Baptist – it was remodeled in the twentieth century, with a modernized interior. In the sixteenth century it was built the original chapel, but over time, it was in ruins, allowing the restoration to the current church.
- Chapel of Our Lady of Mercy – this in Vale Canada. In the mid-eighteenth century, it was a small chapel, which was later expanded. Inside is an end of the altarpiece of the eighteenth and early nineteenth century.
- Church of Our Lady of Mercy – remodeled in the twentieth century, but still preserves the chancel and an altarpiece in wood oldest church. It is in Dagorda.
- Church of St. Simon – built in the seventeenth century, and was later remodeled in the nineteenth and twentieth century.
- Church of the Holy Spirit – with a great artistic value, this was built during the seventeenth century and is covered with tiles of the same time. Its main chapel has an altarpiece in Baroque carving of the early eighteenth century.
- Chapel – there is a chapel located in Tojeira of the twentieth century.
- Chapel of Our Lady of Help – this small church was remodeled in the twentieth century and it is unknown his date of construction.
- Chapel of Our Lady of Conception – located in Rechaldeira, this was built in the years 1952-1954.
- Chapel of Our Lady of Conception – in Vila Nova, this date to the eighteenth century, being renovated and restored several times during the twentieth century. Today its interior is modernized, but once had a wooden altarpiece on the high altar.
- Chapel of Our Lady of Fatima Rosary – the old building was a school of Palhais, which in 1951 was converted to a religious use, currently the Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima.
- Chapel of St. Michael – in Pereiro, this chapel dates back to 1611, enrolled in the chancel of the dome. Recently, it was remodeled, staying with a new porch.
- Church of Our Lady of Ó – Vilar, be modern church stands since 1953, replacing the old church of the fourteenth century.
Mills– At times, Cadaval county was important in cereal production, the existing mills proof of this agricultural activity, and are currently elements highlighted in the county landscape. In total, the county had about 133 traditional milling systems:
- 73 were masonry mills – i.e. cylindrical mills / conically constructed with stone walls. Currently, six of these mills have been adapted for attachment housing or occasional homes; only 11 are in good condition and only some have the operational and functional ingenuity, thanks to the dedication of some people who want to keep the tradition. Three of these mills were recovered with the support of Community program LeaderOeste and Rural Centre Montejunto. The remaining are in poor condition or in ruins. About 10 mills no longer exist. Most of these mills are from the nineteenth century.
- 10 wood mills – are cylindrical mills with wooden walls. Currently there is already no one.
- 36 metal frame mills – rectangular stone building with gabled roof and iron tower. Only two are complete and in good condition, while the remaining are incomplete, one is almost destroyed and 8 no longer exist. These mills back to the twentieth century, since this grinding system.
- 14 mills – ie grinding systems powered by water. Of these 14, only two are in good condition, and one is in operation. The remaining are or degraded state or just with the built stone structure.
The Serra de Montejunto also offers a variety history of its built heritage, a site that tells many stories. Very close to the top, is the Chapel of Our Lady of the Snows, built in the thirteenth century, situated next to the ruins of the first Dominican convent. Next this also is the Chapel of St. John the Baptist, decorated with tiles that tell the life of the saint, who gave him his name. the ruins can still visit the Convent of Our Lady of the Visitation of Vila Verde dos Francos, which was founded by D. Pedro de Noronha, in the mid-sixteenth century. Another great attraction is the Royal Ice Factory, a national monument, which supplied the royal court and downtown Lisbon, large quantities of ice during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. This presents a reservoir and a well, which supplied 44 tanks intended for freezing water.